Thursday, May 5, 2016

Let's read Sony of America's website from 2000!


The year is 2000. The Sony PlayStation has been a massive success and it's next great platform, the PlayStation 2 is looming ahead. Let's see what SCEA's website looked like at this time and laugh at ugly old websites from 16 years ago!





The first thing I notice about the website is its fancy use of flash throughout the site to make various PlayStation characters jump out at you. I'm glad to see Tomba getting some love! I also see that even though the games are years old at this point, Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid are considered to be the "top games." We have lots more to see, let's check out the latest press releases next.


According to this press release, Sony was planning on doing some form of digital distribution with the PlayStation 2. I could be wrong (and please correct me in the comments if I am), but I do not recall this type of feature being utilized on the console. Of course six years later it would become a standard in the industry, but at this point I don't think it had a presence in the console space.

Anyway, let's check out some information on PlayStation Underground!



Did anyone have a subscription to PlayStation Underground? It was essentially a gaming magazine except it was on a disc and featured many more interactive elements. It was basically an elaborate demo disc, with lots more than what you'd expect on a console pack in disc or something you'd get from Pizza Hut.


The website is pretty cut and dry. Let's check out the contents of the current issue.


In all honesty, that sounds like a pretty sweet thing to have. Considering downloading videos and demos isn't exactly easy at this point in time, I think this would be genuinely useful. As a matter of fact, I used to have several of the PlayStation Underground Jampack's, which were versions of the "CD mag" that were periodically available in retail stores. It wasn't something that myself or my parents could afford at the time to subscribe annually, so I relied on these discs available at retail to get my fix.



Also, the PlayStation Underground page is asking the tough questions in their latest poll!

Abe is the obvious answer.

 We are almost done reading the website. Let's check out the customer support section.


Wait a second...


.....


God help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment